ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT UPDATES 9/7/2021
September 07, 2021
Tropical Depression Ida Emergency Response Resources
Governor Hochul Announces Federal Approval for Major Disaster Declaration in Wake of Ida Flooding
- Declaration Provides Federal Financial Relief for Local Governments and New Yorkers Impacted by Flooding and Supplies Individual and Public Assistance to Those Recovering from Damage of Hurricane Ida
- New Yorkers Who Have Been Displaced, Including Uninsured Families, Will be Eligible for Funds for Housing Assistance, As Well As Crisis Counseling, Unemployment Assistance, Home Repairs, and Legal Services
Governor’s Relief and Response Resources
- Disaster & Flood Resource Center
- Meeting Basic Needs
- Help After Disaster
- US Small Business Administration (SBA) Helping Businesses and Homeowners Recover
- Friday, September 10th at 10:00am: Register HERE
- Friday, September 17th at 10:00am: Register HERE
- Updated Program Information can be found HERE
- Find a list of all upcoming webinars on this program HERE
2021 New York State Manufacturing Day – Friday, October 15, 2021
- 2021 NY Statewide Virtual Manufacturing Day is an on-line event that will celebrate manufacturers from across New York State and highlight the pathways students can take toward manufacturing careers.
- Attend this virtual, interactive, statewide conference: October 15, 2021 – Register HERE
- Request to be an Exhibitor HERE
NEW: Governor Hochul Announces $6 Million for Climate Justice Fellowships Benefitting Disadvantaged Communities and Priority Populations
- Funding Will Support 150 Fellowships Over Three Years
- Advances New York State's Commitment to Ensure an Equitable Clean Energy Transition for All New Yorkers; Announcement Comes in Advance of Climate Week
- Applications Can Be Found Here
SBA Opens Supplemental Grant Applications for Shuttered Venue Operators Grant Awardees
- The U.S. Small Business Administration announced it will begin sending invitations for supplemental awards for the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG) program
- Per the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Non-profits and Venues Act, SVOG supplemental awards are to be provided to those who received an initial grant and have illustrated a 70% loss when comparing 2021’s first-quarter revenues to the same in 2019
- Learn more about this opportunity HERE
- Business Pandemic Recovery Initiative
- New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) FY2022 funding
- Downtown Revitalization Initiative – due 4pm SHARP on September 15, 2021
- Workforce Development Initiative
- Second Round of Funding Makes $48 Million Available to Help New Yorkers Find Quality, Well-Paid Jobs and to Meet the Short and Long-Term Workforce Needs of Businesses
- Find the 2021 Guidebook, Program Guidelines and Webinars HERE
- Restaurant Return-to-Work Tax Credit Program
- The $35 million Restaurant Return-to-Work Tax Credit Program provides an incentive to COVID-impacted restaurants to bring restaurant staff back-to-work, and to increase hiring at NYS restaurants.
- Qualifying businesses are eligible for a tax credit of $5,000 per new worker hired, up-to $50,000 per business.
- The Program is open to eligible restaurants located in New York City, or in an area outside of New York City that was designated an Orange or Red Zone for at least thirty consecutive days.
- Global New York
- Global NY helps New York businesses enter or expand their presence in the global marketplace.
- Programs connect companies with sales agents and distributors abroad and offset the costs of exporting with grants and loans.
- By participating in our trade missions, New York businesses can create and reinforce global connections and partnerships.
- Hudson River Valley Greenway Grant Program – deadlines are Sep 10, and Nov 8, 2021
- Community Development Block Grant Applications for Economic Development, Small Business & Microenterprise accepted throughout 2021 with rolling awards. Learn more HERE.
- New York Power Authority’s (NYPA) ReCharge NY Program
- Just Transition Site Reuse Planning
- The purpose of the Just Transition Site Reuse Planning Program is to mitigate the negative impacts of fossil fuel power plant site closures.
- This program provides technical assistance in communities that require site evaluation and a sustainable economic path forward for municipalities.
- Interested communities should complete and submit the program application to the online portal.
- Carbontech Entrepreneurial Fellowship Program
- Clean Energy Communities
- Energy Programs and Incentives
- Just Transition Site Reuse Planning
- Utility Economic Development Programs
- Federal Grants
Technical Assistance for Businesses:
- Get Help Navigating State and Federal Small Business Assistance Programs
- Empire State Development’s Division of Small Business
- New York State Small Business Development Center
- Women’s Enterprise Development Center
- New York State Certified Business Incubators and Innovation Hot Spots: New York State has designated 10 Innovation Hot Spots—one for each of New York's economic development regions—and 20 Certified Business Incubators, which receive funding to reach a greater number of early-stage companies. Support may vary by location but generally includes: physical space; shared administrative staff; access to capital; coaching; mentoring; networking connections; prototype development; and access to other technical services. Innovation Hot Spots also coordinate regional entrepreneurial ecosystems, and can offer tax benefits to client businesses. In the Mid-Hudson we have:
- BioInc @New York Medical College: The region’s only biotechnology incubator offers shared resources, turnkey wet lab space and sponsored professional services to promising, high-potential entrepreneurs and start-ups. BioInc@NYMC helps members achieve development and funding milestones.
- Hudson Valley Center for Innovation | Accel7: Accel7 is the oldest, continuously operating business and tech accelerator serving the Hudson Valley between Westchester and Albany, focusing on building and launching Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) solutions with early-stage entrepreneurs.
- Business Mentor NY (BMNY): Business Mentor NY is the State’s first large scale, hands-on small business mentoring program that helps NYS entrepreneurs and established small businesses overcome challenges to grow their business. Business Mentor NY is a free resource that allows entrepreneurs and volunteer mentors to easily connect so they can solve problems and build businesses together.
- SBA’s Ascent: Free learning platform for women entrepreneurs
- Business Express: Your Guide to Doing Business in New York State
- Empire State Digital: Connects New York-based small businesses with the education, access and resources needed to digitize, expand and adapt to the new economy due to the changes from COVID-19.
- ESD Global New York: Export Assistance for NYS Businesses
- Global NY programs connect companies with sales agents and distributors abroad and offset the costs of exporting with grants and loans.
- Global NY is committed to helping businesses sell their products and services in growing markets including Canada, China, Europe, India, Israel, Mexico, Europe, South Africa and South America.
- For Manufacturers
- New York State Manufacturing Extension Partnership (NY MEP) Assists Small And Mid-Sized Manufacturers In Becoming More Competitive
- Fuzehub: Resources for NYS Manufacturers
- NYS Office of General Services: Guidance on Doing Business with New York State
Workforce Development Resources:
- Workforce Development Initiative
- New York Entertainment Workforce Diversity Grant Program
- New York State Jobs Express: Employers with job openings can post their open positions, and individuals looking for employment can search for opportunities on the NYS Department of Labor’s Jobs Express website.
- For Job Seekers:
- NYS Department of Labor’s Jobs Express website
- SUNY Online Training Center – free skill-building, college prep, and employment certification programs with one-on-one career coaching
- Free Online Platform for New Yorkers to Learn New Job Skills, Earn Certificates & Advance Their Careers: Create a free account with Coursera Here
Resources for Employers:
- NY State of Health: Shop here to see what health insurance options are available to you, your family, and your business
- Child Care: Parents in need of free child care resources and referrals are encouraged to visit www.HVChildCare.org, where they can enter their zip code to immediately find the name and contact information of the agency that serves their location.
- NYS DOL Shared Work Program: New York State’s DOL Shared Work Program helps businesses manage business cycles and seasonal adjustments. Shared Work lets businesses keep trained staff and avoid layoffs. Employees can receive partial unemployment insurance benefits while working reduced hours. Full-time, part-time and seasonal employees are eligible.
- U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey Data Profiles
- NYS Department of Labor Data
- Empire State Development: Annual Report 2020
- Empire State Development Database of Economic Incentives
- Regional Council CFA Projects
- Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council